This forum is new. Don't be shy, get posting
and let's build a great community together.

• Berklie
    :cheer: ... Hello!
    I know that this is a very, very, (maybe even one more very) "newbie" question... but, nonetheless, I'd still like to ask it since I am just barely getting underway with 3D modeling and have stumbled across HDR Light Studio after failing to figure out environment lighting creation. Basically:

• Can one use HDR Light Studio to import an HDR environment file (.hdr), add lighting to it, and then export/save it out as a new HDR environment file (.hdr)... with the new lighting as part of the newly-exported/saved HDR environment file (.hdr)?

What I intend to do is take the newly-exported/saved HDR environment file (with the new lighting added), and use it as the environment-image for 3D models I would like to display on websites using the <model-viewer> library.

Because I am so new to 3D modeling, I am using Adobe Substance Stager to stage and light an environment for the 3D models I am having created by others. But, Adobe Substance Stager does not export any lighting at all. And because of this; the 3D models I place online using <model-viewer> are not nearly as nicely lit as they are in Adobe Substance Stager, since the HDR environment file does not include the 5 lights I have added in Adobe Substance Stager.

In conclusion; it sounds like HDR Light Studio would allow me (or a freelancer) to re-create the lighting environment I have created in Adobe Substance Stager... within Blender using HDR Light Studio, so that the resulting .hdr file exported/saved from HDR Light Studio would include the 5 lights I would like added to the original HDR environment file.

Thank you in advance for any insight! Below are an example of an existing .hdr file I would like to use (original.hdr saved as a original.png so that it would be visible in this post)... and possibly make use of LightPaint to add new lights on to the existing .hdr file (as seen in LightPaint.png).

CFH18Ta.png

uhdCMTK.png

• Forum Admin
    Yes you can do that Berklie,

Here is a quick tip video showing how this is done
    https://www.lightmap.co.uk/learning/add-lights-to-hdri-maps/
  • Berklie
    Thank you for the prompt reply and the link to the video, I very much appreciate it! :smile:

One thing about which I would like further clarification, if you would:

• After adding lights to the HDRI Map (as seen in the video)... is it possible then save/export the modified HDRI Map, with the lights that have been added? (That step isn't covered in the video.)

Sorry for the follow-up, I just want to understand completely that one can not only add lights to the scene while using HDR Light Studio... one can also save the new HDRI Map with those newly-added lights, for use with other models.

Thank you, again, in advance!
  • Forum Admin
    Yes, that is what the software is designed for. Creating and Editing HDRI maps to use in your 3D software. In the demo mode, without a license, it is not possible. But once a license is purchased, you can save your HDRI maps as HDR or EXR files.
  • Berklie
    Thank you! I'll have to find a Blender freelancer that is familiar with HDR Light Studio, so that I can have this done. I have not used Blender before. Darn.

I appreciate the help!
  • Forum Admin
    Why do you need to use Blender? You can use HDR Light Studio standalone and add lights to a HDRI map and save the HDRI map.
  • Berklie
    Oh, there's a standalone application? I did not know that! Based on the below statement on the home page... I believed this was an addon/plugin for 3D software:

AlOiq9i.png

I'll take a look now and request a trial for MacOS! Thanks!
  • Berklie

Thank you, Admin! I am having fun learning how to use the standalone application.

I do have a follow-up question, which will really help to possibly send me on my creative way:

• How can I load a GLB model into this Render View window (pointing pink arrow)... so that I can see how the lights reflect off of the GLB models that I have created and use?

nQMIcTS.png

I only have GLB 3D models that I export from Adobe Substance Stager (stager files end in .ssg), and I cannot seem to select any GLB 3D model to use as a source for seeing how the lighting works.

If you have time, please let me know! :grin: Once I can get a GLB 3D model into that window, I believe that I will be able to learn how to do this myself (no freelancer needed - maybe).
  • Forum Admin
    We support Collada, Alembic and FBX file formats. So you may need to use another software to generate those, as Stager does not seem to support those formats for export.
  • Berklie

Hello once again!

I have the latest Demo Version (which I downloaded roughly 2 hours ago)... and it does not let me select an FBX file. Is this something only the paid version allows? Any tips? See:

RQYOLLm.png
  • Forum Admin
    Sorry, FBX is for Windows only. The previous screen shot was Windows, I assumed that was your platform.
  • Berklie

Ok, understood. Thank you… will see what I can do.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

New Member Reminder
Make sure you have activated your account via the email we sent you. That grants you permission to post at the forum.

New for December 2020

Welcome to our new HDR Light Studio forum. Please create an account to start or join a discussion.